Followers

Monday, October 15, 2012

The Story of Ann part two


 After explaining all that Ann could do with her husband, she felt educated enough to talk to him on her own.  I told her to use "I" sentences and to be calm and make her point without making him feel like she was attacking him.  She needed to politely point out how he made her feel when he changed how he treated her, once married he was a different person.  She called it Jekyll & Hyde, and it made her feel as if she had made a huge mistake.  Their honeymoon had been magical and now it seemed like someone had ripped the rug out from under her.  She questioned had he always been this way and I chose to overlook it?  She loves her husband and wanted to give it a chance to see if they could get through whatever it is.

I received a call from her over the weekend and she sounded despondent not this happy go lucky woman I had spoken to days before.  She kept telling me how she tried hard to be calm and think of his feelings, but in the end he just brushed it off as she was the controlling one.  All was blamed on her and she had no idea how bad the situation was till that talk.  He even accused her about talking to someone professional and that if she was she better not speak to them again.  She was dismayed that he reacted the way he did.  She felt like it was all her fault and that maybe she should not speak to me again.  I of course told her that she has every right to talk to whomever she wants and to not let someone take away your rights.  I am not a counselor, but from my experience there are certain things you figure out and make you wiser so I didn't want her to succumb to his controlling behavior.

The lesson here is she a bright young woman with a great career ahead of her, comes from a well to do family and has both her parents with no history of abuse of any kind.  She's always been a leader and straight A student.  Not your typical abuse victim like so many stereotype them to be.

I will continue Ann's story in a few days, in the meantime will y'all comment and let me know what you think good or bad about her story.  Do you feel she is handling this the right way?  Would you do it differently? 

If you missed the first part here's the link:  http://fivestarsurvivor.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-story-of-ann-part-one.html

No comments:

Post a Comment